Friday, November 25, 2022

The Backstory

I was thrilled to get a “CJO” which means a contingent job offer from Alaska Airlines. I had spent the past three years in the fast-paced Anchorage Lounge. The coworkers and supervisors were incredible but my dream was to become a flight attendant. After making it to the final live interview, there were many obstacles to overcome before getting my wings. 

1) background checks

2) 6 week training in Seattle (6 days a week from 4:30 am to 3 pm)

3) written tests

4) evacuation and equipment tests

5) 6 months probation with supervisor review and more

lots of sitting but wonderful people

For my mental health, I knew I couldn’t sit inside without going stir crazy. Thankfully, James agreed. I found a Brompton folding bike that was a demo used at a bike shop that they were liquidating. I got a fabulous low price. My dear friend Suzy in Portland picked it up and I was united with my new to me bike on my way to the Bahamas. (Post later).

leaving the hotel ready for adventure

During my time living in a hotel for 6 weeks, it was exactly what I needed. I would get out of class and would do a short ride. Also, on the one day off, Sunday I would take longer trips to islands and places that I would do a combo trip. 


A combo trip is my favorite. This is extremely easy with either a tram, ferry, car trunk, or bus first then riding. The 5 second folding makes it simple and able to have no additional tickets or hassle. I just fold the bike and sit next to it. I was able to see so many fun sites around Seattle that helped me unwind. Sometimes, I actually listened to class work while riding or I remember distinctly memorizing my evacuation drills while riding and yelling my commands. I actually haven’t locked the bike up because when I go to a restaurant I just fold it up and put it under my table. I will in the future when I ride to a trailhead to go hiking. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

shopping … no problem

​Not only does the Brompton fit in our overhead bins and through tsa conveyor belts for security screening, but it also has a great function...